Thursday, May 21, 2009

Vintage Hickory Chair


With our HCC University events over the past two weeks I have had the opportunity to spend time with our employees sharing their amazing skill with our guests. Each time I hear their enthusiasm for continuous improvement and joy in making one of a kind pieces to order, it makes me so proud that our 600,000 square foot workshop is still here in Hickory, North Carolina. Our ability to make personalized pieces are a result of these artisans being located here in our American facility.


My day was made earlier this week when I received an email through our web site that said: "Just thought someone in your company may be interested in the fact that we have in our family a set of well used, twin maple bedsteads, dating to about 1928. The name on the back of the headboard is Hickory Chair Mfg. Co., Hickory, NC. It was purchased in a store in Poughkeepsie, NY, as a wedding gift for my parents. Though a tad scarred, the bedsteads are still extraordinarily sturdy and in no danger of falling apart. Excellent quality. Should last for centuries." I have asked for a picture of these amazing vintage pieces which the owner promises to share.


My thoughts have wandered to this family that has cherished these heirloom pieces of Hickory Chair. What an honor it is to know that our pieces have so many of their family's memories surrounding them. I bet there are many families with similar stories to share. We are listening if you have one to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment